Recognized Leadership @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Tun Abdullah bin Haji Ahmad Badawi

Tun Abdullah bin Haji Ahmad Badawi

Former Prime Minister of Malaysia

“I am excited at the merging of the best and brightest from the East and West. It is my hope that such an exchange will produce a burst of creativity and innovation that will illuminate our future."

Tun Abdullah bin Haji Ahmad Badawi was the 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia from 2003 to April 2009.

Born on 26 November, 1939 in Kampung Perlis, Bayan Lepas, Pulau Pinang, Dato’ Seri Abdullah received his early education at Sekolah Kebangsaan Pematang Bertam. He later attended Bukit Mertajam High School, Penang Methodist Boys’ School and a religious school started by his family.

I am excited at the merging of the best and brightest from the East and West. It is my hope that such an exchange will produce a burst of creativity and innovation that will illuminate our future.

Tun Abdullah pursued his tertiary education at the University of Malaya where he graduated with B.A. (Hons) in Islamic studies in 1964.

Upon graduating, Tun Abdullah joined the civil service, where he started his career as Assistant Secretary in the Public Services Department in 1964.

Tun Abdullah resigned from Government service in 1978 to pursue a political career. A loyal UMNO member since 1965, he was elected UMNO Supreme Council Member in 1981, and UMNO Vice President in 1984, 1987, 1990 and 1996. He became UMNO Deputy President in 2000.

Tun Abdullah won his first election for the Parliamentary seat of the Kepala Batas constituency in 1978, (a seat he has retained since). In the same year, Tun Abdullah was appointed to his first post in the administration of the Government of Malaysia, as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Federal Territory Ministry. He was then promoted to Deputy Minister in the same Ministry in 1980. Dato’ Seri Abdullah later held the post of Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department from 1981 to 1984; and Minister of Education from 1984 to 1986; Minister of Defence from 1986 to 1987; and Minister of Foreign Affairs from 15 Mach 1991 to 1999. In January 1999, Dato’ Seri Abdullah was appointed as the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs.

The president, Dato’ Seri Abdullah and wife
Founder President Tan Sri Dato’ Dr Lim Kok Wing with Tun Abdullah and the wife Tun Jeanne Abdullah.

Dato’ Seri Abdullah married the late Datin Seri Endon Dato' Mahmood in 1965 and after 40 years of marriage, lost her after a prolonged battle with cancer on 20 October 2005. They have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. The Prime Minister married Datin Seri Jeanne Abdullah on 9th June 2007 as Prime Minister.

Tun Abdullah is a long-time friend of the university. He has taken the time off from his busy schedule to attend Limkokwing’s events, most notably, the launch of Cyberjaya campus in 2004 and the launch of London campus in 2007.

President Founder Professor Emeritus Tan Sri Dato’ Dr Lim Kok Wing once said that: “The Prime Minister has been a constant source of encouragement. He has reminded me occasionally to put my knowledge to good use in helping the country strengthen its competitiveness.”

Tun Abdullah and wife with Limkokwing London students.
Tun Abdullah and wife with Limkokwing London students.

During his visit to launch the Cyberjaya campus in 2004, Tun Abdullah expressed his hope that Limkokwing, along with the Innovation Centre, will work closely with the government to realise our common objectives of developing a dynamic and talented pool of graduates to strengthen the human capital, and of promoting Malaysia as a premier destination for quality education in the world.

In October 2007, Tun Abdullah opened the first Malaysian-based Commonwealth University in United Kingdom – the Limkokwing University, London campus in Piccadilly, London - a milestone event for Malaysia and the UK, being the first Malaysian, Asian and Commonwealth country to set up a university and deliver its degrees in the country.

Tun Abdullah giving his speech during the opening of Limkokwing London.
Tun Abdullah giving his speech during the opening of Limkokwing London.

During his speech, Tun Abdullah had said that the Limkokwing University has been a trailblazer for Malaysian education. From a small beginning, it has grown from strength to strength to become what it is today: a truly internationally recognised Malaysian brand name that has educated students from 100 countries.

He added it was not surprising that Limkokwing University will become the first Malaysian institution of higher learning to open a branch campus in London. Not only is it a coup for the University, but a sign of the confidence that the world has in Malaysia education.

“I am excited at the merging of the best and brightest from the East and West. It is my hope that such an exchange will produce a burst of creativity and innovation that will illuminate our future. I also hope that this cross-pollination will give rise to greater understanding and empathy between cultures and civilisations – qualities that are sorely needed in today’s world,” said the former Prime Minister.

Recognized Leadership
Google+
View Mobile