Alumni @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Fahat Kahut

Fahat Kahut

Independent Filmmaker, 2017
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Digital Film & Television

Filmmaking is all about telling stories, never ever stop telling stories. You may fail to impress people, even yourself at times but never stop learning, you will surely progress. Find and fully live your purpose in life and leave an enduring legacy of making a difference in the world.

21 March 2017

Fahat Kahut: Thriving Independent Filmmaker

Limkokwing University alumnus Fahat Kahut is now a thriving independent filmmaker.

He graduated in 2015 with the Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Digital Film & Television degree and has since been focusing on directing commercials and short films for various media outlets.

Since childhood Fahat always had the desire to tell stories. “What else could be a better medium to tell stories than film? I am very ambitious to work on films that impact change in society, plus I think it’s a real privilege to make a living doing this job. It’s a great job.”

Fahat draws his inspiration from Christopher Nolan who started as an independent filmmaker and has now become one of the most influential directors of the new millennium. “His movies deal with human emotions, very real characters and themes that everyone can identify with.”

On why he joined Limkokwing University he mentioned it was because of the international exposure it gives its students.

“It is one of the most internationalised institutions in Malaysia and as a filmmaker, I love to interact with people from different backgrounds, it opens up the world of new perspectives.”

The 29-year-old admits that before joining Limkokwing he did not know anything about movie making, except the passion he had to make one. Lecturers at the University groomed and supported him in his journey until he was confident enough to kickstart his career.

Fresh from graduating, Fahat worked for a production company as an assistant director and established contacts to build up his clientele, which resulted in him shifting onto independent filmmaking. He started from promotional videos, commercials and moved onto short fiction and documentaries.

“I am directing and writing a 40 minute short film based on soldiers’ lives during conflicts. In the future I’m looking into making a feature film based on rights of ethnic minorities in my country, the project is due by the end of next year.”

Asked about his greatest achievement Fahad said, “To be able to continue telling stories, I believe that as a filmmaker, I have certain responsibilities towards society and I want to speak for those who are unheard and suffering due to various factors.”

The experience and skills he gained at Limkokwing University made him outshine his peers and he was able to fast track his career in the right direction.

“It was relatively easier to attract job opportunities considering the fact that I graduated from a well reputed university, secondly the entire experience at Limkokwing University has groomed me to become more creative and strengthened my communication skills.”

Giving tips to students who are interested in entering the film industry Fahat said, “I believe good filmmakers are curious by nature so you must question almost everything. Be observant and develop the habit of reading. Reading gives you perspective, helps you understand the craft of storytelling.”

“Lastly, filmmaking is all about telling stories, never ever stop telling stories. You may fail to impress people, even yourself at times but never stop learning, you will surely progress. Find and fully live your purpose in life and leave an enduring legacy of making a difference in the world.”

Google+
View Mobile