Alumni @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Rob Lee

Rob Lee

Founder and Managing Director of Common Extract Sdn. Bhd, 2013
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Creative Multimedia

In time, you realize design and creativity revolve around everyday life, from everything you see on the wall, posters, twitter and the strategy bringing them to the shelves; which all involves creativity in one way or another.

14 March 2013

Creativity is Life

Written by Victoria Edwards

Modesty and a good sense of humor can take you far in life. Rob Lee’s ability to get along with others through his quirky view of life has made adapting to situations easier.

“I did check out several universities but I think Limkokwing has its core strength which I like. Design and Creativity has always been one of Limkokwing University core strength.”

Realization at a young age can also boost you on the right track for your career. Rob realized early on the fact that design, and creativity are life. This may have been the key stone to his decision to pursue a career in design.

I did check out several universities but I think Limkokwing has its core strength which I like. Design and Creativity has always been one of Limkokwing University core strength.

“In time, you realize design and creativity revolve around everyday life, from everything you see on the wall, posters, twitter and the strategy bringing them to the shelves; which all involves creativity in one way or another.”

Limkokwing strives to create graduates who are ready for the industry of their choice. In this theory you will see select few who really soar out of university and land high in their field. Rob noticed this before even joining the university.

“I think the other reason I chose to study at Limkokwing is that there are quite a few famous or top graduates from Limkokwing which are in the industry and they recommended I go there.”

The name Limkokwing University of Creative Technology describes the mindset students will leave the campus with. As Rob will tell you “Design is Life” and this one lesson has allowed him to understand his field of expertise even better.

“Limkokwing taught me the importance of creativity, it simply applies into all aspect of life and business, either solving a 3D technical problem or handling business sides of things, and it proves to be the most important thing I learn in university.”

Achieving excellence

Rob turned out to be a very successful and accomplished student by the time he finished his course in Limkokwing. Several awards and an exciting opportunity served as a very promising ending to his time in the university.

“I won a few awards at the end of my studies; one was in July 2006 it’s called the Young Achievers Award. The other was also at graduation in July 2006 and that one was called Industry Award for Excellence - Best in 3D Visualization. Just before graduation I was contacted by NanYang Siang Pau (South Sea Newspaper) to be interviewed on the pros and cons of internship. It was a cool experience and it was pretty exciting to be chosen to be interview by a newspaper.”

Limkokwing taught me the importance of creativity, it simply applies into all aspect of life and business, either solving a 3D technical problem or handling business sides of things, and it proves to be the most important thing I learn in university.

Riding the high road

Rob’s journey to where he is now is an exciting one. Rob had previous experience as an intern working on a Disney television series ‘HiggleyTown Heroes’ as an intern on the 3D lighting team. This paved the way for him to eventually find his first employer at Photon VFX Studios in side Warner Roadshow Studios in Gold Coast Australia! This first job was not an ordinary one, his work ended up being viewed all around the world.

“Upon graduating in RMIT in Australia, I immediately got offered a job as a Lighting and Rendering Artist in Photon VFX Studio. It was Australia largest budget for a 3D Animated TV Series “Animalia”, the series was aired over dozens of channel and countries across the world.”

Once finished his exciting journey on “Animalia”, Rob headed back to his home country of Malaysia. Here he thought it was time to start something of his own, here he is now.

Paving the Way

Technology is no longer the way of the future, technology is the way of the present. As everyone knows Apple has made a huge mark in the IT market. Starting with the IPod and then the IPhone and now on to the IPad the only way to go is up; faster, more storage, more apps, and enhancing the user friendly qualities. Rob was on the right track when he decided his company would produce IPad games.

“My greatest achievement would be starting my own company; especially getting funding for Common Extract. When I first came back to Malaysia I decided to start my own company called Common Extract Sdn. Bhd. Now my company is around 1 year old and for now we only have 3 full time staff.”

Starting your own company is only the first step in a long journey to become a successful company. Getting funding is one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome. But once that obstacle is concord you are on your way to making your mark in the industry. Rob decided he would being his company into the Apple market by designing IPad games.

“We are currently working on 3 IPad games which are scheduled to be launched next year. Besides the several IPad games that we’re currently working on, we’re looking into producing more games in platforms that we think have potential such as consol games or other mobile games, and from there we will see which device has the most potential.”

Role with the punches, or get left behind

If you are an ambitious student looking to make your mark on the multimedia world you better listen to Rob’s advice on this exciting and challenging field. The ability to be adaptable is a key point in success as well as foresight.

“We’re living in a very fast paced world, especially if you’re dealing with creative technology; you simply have to be flexible to adapt the ever changing world. The economy doesn’t really affect us because it will always be a high risk sector and we will always be at the front line of the downturn or when it starts to go up. So I guess it’s a good thing because with every downturn there will be an opportunity. Malaysia has been trying to push creative multimedia onto international stage; we now have the greatest opportunity to unleash our talent to the world stage.”

Google+
View Mobile