Alumni @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Maria Laura Angulo

Maria Laura Angulo

Manager, Limkokwing International Dance Academy, 2009
Bachelor of Business (Hons) in Marketing

I joined Limkokwing University because it was a different place compared to all the other universities in Argentina. Asia was a very new world for me and this place was especially unique, as it is a place where creativity inspires yourself to do the best.

06 May 2009

On Fire for Flamenco

Written by Catalina Rembuyan

Maria Laura Angulo was born in Barcelona and grew up in Argentina before moving to Limkokwing University of Creative Technology to teach at the Limkokwing International Dance Academy. Catalina Rembuyan has a chat with her to learn more about what drives this fiery flamenco dancer.

“I am authentic. I like to show people the way that I am, and I am not scared about what other people think of me,” said Laura Angulo, when asked to define herself in a few words.

The open-minded and friendly Laura Angulo, who left her home country – Argentina - to teach at the Limkokwing International Dance Academy, believes that her time at Limkokwing University allows her to develop herself in two of the fields she enjoys the most: dance and business. Apart from teaching flamenco and other Spanish dances at the International Dance Academy, Laura works at the Marketing Department of Limkokwing University, where she assists in developing strategies to help Limkokwing University enter the South American educational market.

“Limkokwing University is not a regular university,” said Laura, “It is a special place where you can develop your mind in one of the most amazing ways.”

“You learn each and every day on how to be more self-confident and inspire others to do the same. The experience here will encourage you to be a great leader, in all aspects of life,” she added.

You learn each and every day on how to be more self-confident and inspire others to do the same. The experience here will encourage you to be a great leader, in all aspects of life

Laura, who graduated from her university in Argentina with an International Relations and Business degree, explained that her experience in Malaysia is her first experience at working abroad. At first, Laura had to struggle to adjust to life in Malaysia, but she states that living within diversity is part of the challenges of life.

Explaining that while living with the differences of others is probably the hardest thing in life, it is also what is probably the most attractive of life and learning to do so will help one to become more tolerant, peaceful, and develop patience when working with other cultures.

“I joined Limkokwing University because it was a different place compared to all the other universities in Argentina,” said Laura, on the subject of what inspired her to join Limkokwing University, “Asia was a very new world for me and this place was especially unique, as it is a place where creativity inspires yourself to do the best.”

Laura’s dual professions at Limkokwing University mean that she brings her background in business and international relations to two very diverse disciplines: dance and marketing. She also finds in the experience of juggling both professions a link between the two.

“Everything is connected in our careers, whether we believe it or not,” said Laura, explaining that diverse experiences can still contribute greatly to one’s professional life, even if it does not seem to be similar, “The International Dance Academy is a business, where you have to take care of everything from finance to marketing to events and the arts.”

The International Dance Academy is a business, where you have to take care of everything from finance to marketing to events and the arts

“Everything is mixed and that’s the challenge to manage it. The motivation lies in the capacity of work that all the team has towards a goal, and being part of Limkokwing University has helped me day-by-day when it comes to commitment and being focused on results.”

Laura also ties her sense of motivation and commitment to her training as a dancer. “I started dancing flamenco since I was eight years old and it has taught me the value of consistency and hard work in the quest of accomplishing your goals,” she said.

Explaining that the greatest challenge in being a dance instructor in Limkokwing University is the multicultural environment that requires one to pay attention to the details that would usually not be a problem at home, Laura also explains on her personal views of the aesthete and necessity of dance in human life.

This world is not just made of words, and communication is about non-language behavior as well. For that reason, knowing how to control our body and keep it healthy, allows us to get better results from it and relax – and dance is an excellent way of doing this

“This world is not just made of words, and communication is about non-language behavior as well. For that reason, knowing how to control our body and keep it healthy, allows us to get better results from it and relax – and dance is an excellent way of doing this.”

For Laura, whose definition of failure is the inability to live life with confidence and living the life of someone else instead of your own, Argentina, her home country, is the very definition of paradise on Earth. With parts of the country in the vibrant tropics and other parts in snow, the country is blessed with geographical beauty and populated by people who are extremely warm and friendly.

Despite that, she enjoys the challenges living and working in Asia can bring. The 25-year old, whose plans for the future involve being a mother of a nice family, being able to write, and to work in something that she would enjoy being in, has one perfect definition of success.

“Happiness,” she answers, in a single word. As a value that so often passes by the most powerful and richest of us, it is fantastic to hear such wisdom from someone as young.

Google+
View Mobile