Alumni @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Nurliyana binti Jaya & Kenneth Lau Choon Yuen

Nurliyana binti Jaya & Kenneth Lau Choon Yuen

Alumni, 2008
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Professional Communication

I struggled with my assignments because the homework and lessons in deaf schools are easier but over here, there is no excuse for being deaf. We are treated equally as hearing students but given facilities such as transcribers, sign language interpreters, deaf tutors and deaf English language teacher.

20 December 2008

Making dreams come true

Written by Yogeswari Veerakathy

Stories of two hearing impaired graduates who found success through Limkokwing.

Standing tall in gold and black robes, this is the second time deaf student Nurliyana binti Jaya was glowing with joy. The first time was when she graduated with Diploma in Graphic Design in 2007 and last week, she graduated with Degree in Professional Design.  Nurliyana has many reasons to be happy. Firstly, it was her father’s dream to see her graduating with a degree. Secondly, very few deaf Malaysians have a degree. To Nurliyana, this is a big sense of achievement.

I struggled with my assignments because the homework and lessons in deaf schools are easier but over here, there is no excuse for being deaf. We are treated equally as hearing students but given facilities such as transcribers, sign language interpreters, deaf tutors and deaf English language teacher.

Nurliyana joined Limkokwing University of Creative Technology in 2005 to do Diploma in Graphic Design and later she decided to do her degree here as well because unlike Limkokwing University, most higher learning institutions do not provide facilities for the deaf.

Nurliyana reminisces her earlier days at the university, “all my life I have studied in deaf schools and my friends were all deaf so I was overwhelmed when I joined the university because I had to mingle with a sea of students who could hear.” 

“I was afraid to ask my lecturers anything because I assumed that they didn’t know anything about the deaf. What a surprise I had! Some lecturers could sign while some explained the lessons to me in written form. Students could meet lecturers often for tutorial. I struggled with my assignments because the homework and lessons in deaf schools are easier but over here, there is no excuse for being deaf. We are treated equally as hearing students but given facilities such as transcribers (voice to text interpreters), sign language interpreters, deaf tutors and deaf English language teacher.

“My biggest challenge was to ‘interview’  famous designers, hearing students and the general public for research projects. I felt I couldn’t do it but when I managed to, I felt a sense of achievement!

“My days at Limkokwing was fun-filled, joyful and at times, very stressful. The university’s Deaf Students’  Society gave us a sense of belonging and we were all a very close and supportive group. I will miss being a member of this club!”

Kenneth Lau Choon Yuen

Posing beside his parents, who were beaming with pride on his graduation day, Kenneth Lau Choon Yuen is a good example of a high achiever. He scored mostly A’s for his Degree in Professional Design and has an excellent portfolio. It was a feat for him to become one of the top students in his class because he’s profoundly deaf and mute.

I also have many happy memories here especially with my deaf university mates. I am happy that the university is willing to accept the deaf and help them achieve their dreams.

Kenneth attributes his good performance to his hearing classmates, lecturers and deaf university mates.  “The deaf students here are very close-knitted and always help each other. We are also provided with transcribers, interpreters, deaf tutors as well as deaf English language teacher. Without all these, I wouldn’t have done well. There were times that I wanted to give up but friends were always encouraging me,”  says Kenneth.

Kenneth graduated with a Diploma in Graphic design in 2006 and worked for a year. “Most companies wanted students with a degree. I also wanted to acquire more skills especially in web design and multi media. So, I went around looking for a college but found none that provided facilities for people like me. I went back to Limkokwing to continue my studies. Now, I have more confidence in looking for a job.”

“I also have many happy memories here especially with my deaf university mates. I am happy that the university is willing to accept the deaf and help them achieve their dreams.”

Google+
View Mobile