Magazine Design/Publication Design
This course will provide an appreciation of print design in the context of journalistic and organisational communication. To develop visual literacy, awareness of design elements and their interaction to provide skills and knowledge in principles of print design and to practise skills using page design and imaging software.
Students will have a clear understanding of print design principles and will be able to produce finished pages for production this includes:
- Current design practice, with particular focus on magazine and supplement design.
- Elements of a publication: audience, organisation, content and advertising.
- Deconstructing magazine design: design principles - balance, proportion, sequence, unity, focus, cover page, contents page.
- Page design: format, grid, templates, master pages, special features, approaching layout, single pages, spreads.
- Typography: type classifications, terminology, measurement systems. Working with type: type colour, leading, alignment, kerning, display type, body type, type schemes.
- Images on the page: assessing images, image treatment in layouts, creating sizing and cropping, imaging software techniques.
- Production planning: print technologies overview.
- Production laboratories: Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop.
Intermediate and advance levels are available upon request.
Vienna Velly Bastian
Flight Attendant, Freelance Graphic Designer, and Videographer
“Be thankful for what you have right now, be hungry for creativity, keep up with the trends and be curious, there is nothing wrong with it because it will take you to a place you never expected in your wildest dreams.”
About the Industry
Art & design is the application of design and aesthetics to objects of function and everyday use. Whereas fine arts serve as intellectual stimulation to the viewer or academic sensibilities, the applied arts incorporate design and creative ideals to objects of utility, such as a cup, magazine or decorative park bench. There is considerable overlap between the field and that of the decorative arts; to some extent they are alternative terms.
Lewre – Roondy (M)
Lewré is Malaysia’s forest international footwear brand that has made its presence felt…