Alumni @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Sarimah Ibrahim

Sarimah Ibrahim

TV host, Diari Akademi Fantasia, 2013

Don’t try too hard in this industry because desperation scares people off. In addition, do not enter the entertainment world if you are not ready or prepared to be criticised all the time for everything. You may have continuous self-doubt but you must be able to overcome it. If it does not come naturally, don’t fake it.

27 May 2013

A tri-talent star!

Written by Christine Chan

A talent discovered back in 1996 by a talent scout at TGIF Subang is now the new face of Diari Akademi Fantasia Season 6. Tri-talent; TV host, singer and actress, Sarimah Ibrahim has been making waves in the entertainment industry for over 12 years.

She was at the Limkokwing campus recently during her one day shoot of Diari Akademi Fantasia, one of Malaysia’s enduring talent shows. Christine Chan has the story.

A familiar face on Malaysian cinema and television Sarimah Ibrahim was born in Dublin, Ireland of a mix parentage of Malay, Italian, Irish and Indonesian. She has been hosting popular TV shows from the age of 17. Many will remember as the anchor person in TV2’s ‘The Attic Show’, Astro’s Disney Channel, NTV7’s RIM Chart Show and Kid’s@7, TV3’s Oreo Zone, RTM’s Malaysia 2020, Anugerah Lagu 18 and 19, TV9’s Galaksi, Fail Sulit Akademi Fantasia, IKON Malaysia and IKON Asean 2007.

Movies that she has acted in include Puteri Impian 2, Janji Diana, MX3 and Gerak Khas 3.

Her individual style, personality and that beautiful face have gained her a string of awards and recognition throughout her career such as the ‘Best Newcomer Anugerah Media Hiburan 1998’, ‘New Straits Times Coolest Local Personality 1999’, ‘Nominee as Best Supporting Actress in Festival Filem Malaysia 1999’, ‘Best New Artist AIM 2001’, ‘Best New Artist Era Award 2002’, ‘FHM Sexiest Women in the World Poll 2002’ and ‘Best TV Presenter Anugerah Skrin 2005’.

Her most recent appearance is in Diari Akademi Fantasia Season 6, an entertainment programme that presents updates for all the Akademi Fantasia’s students in the entertainment industry and their achievements after their graduation from the Akademi. “I was excited and surprised when I was selected to be the host for Diari Akademi Fantasia, Season 6.

“I love hosting Fail Sulit which is now known as Katanya Akademi Fantasia or Diari Akademi Fantasia. It is challenging for me as I have to constantly think of how to connect with the viewers of all ages and across all walks of life, with different opinions and expectations,” said Sarimah.

I think the students are very lucky and hope they realise how fortunate they are to be able to attend such a University with so many facilities that make life so much easier and comfortable.

On the 3rd of December 2008, Sarimah Ibrahim and the film crew of Diari Akademi Fantasia; the producer, director, assistant producer, writer, make-artist, camera man and audio man made their way to Limkokwing University, Cyberjaya to shoot an episode of Diari Akademi Fantasia at the campus.

“I always thought that the Limkokwing Cyberjaya campus was eye catching and had quite an eccentric look. I love the way it has its very own industry units on campus.

“If only I had these facilities when I was a student during my University days. I think the students are very lucky and hope they realise how fortunate they are to be able to attend such a University with so many facilities that make life so much easier and comfortable.

“I have heard of Tan Sri Lim Kok Wing’s achievements and about the campuses he set up overseas. I know that he was Malaysia’s first cartoonist and that he came from a background of poverty but his talent and ambition drove him to become one of Malaysia’s most successful leaders with awards from all over the world. I think of him as a visionary!”

Don’t try too hard in this industry because desperation scares people off. In addition, do not enter the entertainment world if you are not ready or prepared to be criticised all the time for everything. You may have continuous self-doubt but you must be able to overcome it. If it does not come naturally, don’t fake it.

Sarimah Ibrahim is admired for her bubbly, energetic charisma. How does she keep up that energy?

“I do a lot of exercise, drink a lot of water, think of happy thoughts, stay away from negative people, don’t smoke and eat what I want! That makes life much easier.

“In times of trouble and stress, my source of inspiration is my younger brother, who survived leukemia yet he is always positive. He reminds me of how trivial my problems or pain can be,” said Sarimah

Her advice to students? “Don’t try too hard in this industry because desperation scares people off. In addition, do not enter the entertainment world if you are not ready or prepared to be criticised all the time for everything. You may have continuous self-doubt but you must be able to overcome it. If it does not come naturally, don’t fake it.

“Today’s entertainment industry has no air of mystery about it. Everybody knows everything or anything about the stars and the celebrities because of the media focus.

“Besides that, there is more honesty in the entertainment industry as stars and celebrities today are ready and willing to admit their weaknesses and be more ‘human’. There are also a lot of opportunities for a shot at fame through talent reality shows.”

Sarimah is currently studying for a degree in Psychology. “I chose to take up Psychology to understand people better, so that I could be a better person myself and be more comfortable with people. This is crucial in entertainment,” she said.

Asked about how she juggles her career, studies and personal life, Sarimah said she gets things done with time management where she plans ahead and tries her best to meet all her commitments.

Google+
View Mobile