Alumni @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
+
Norhafizah Hussein

Norhafizah Hussein

Assistant Producer Astro Awani, 2013
Diploma in Multimedia, Advertising & Broadcasting

I think Limkokwing played a big part in me getting this job because when people see the name, they recognize that this is a good school to pick your fresh graduates from.

20 March 2013

A truly international experience

Written by Victoria Edwards

Norhafizah Hussein was not always the bubbly woman she is today. Once upon a time she was a quiet, reserved, average girl. She was given the opportunity to experience an international environment; such as Limkokwing or the exciting experience of going to Australia for 2 years through Curtin program at Limkokwing. This opportunity allowed her to prepare for the professional world she was about to enter.

“At Limkokwing they are more hands on its really industrial training. I think it’s the way they make us think; they make us push our boundaries. It changed my personality because there are not a lot of Malaysians, there are tones of international people which helped me to be more outspoken and comfortable in an international situation. My experience was really rewarding in Australia, in Curtin my team was nominated for the Western Australia best community TV show. We competed against a lot of the Australian universities and our TV show was put on a local TV station.”

Start from Scratch

For Fizah it seems like an easy step from graduation into an amazing position in a fresh TV station. From pioneering a channel to becoming assistant producer, Fizah says it may be hard work sometimes but it really pays off in the end.

I think Limkokwing played a big part in me getting this job because when people see the name, they recognize that this is a good school to pick your fresh graduates from.

“After I finished my internship I got my first job at Astro Awani. Astro hadn’t launched yet so we were considered the pioneers of Astro. I think Limkokwing played a big part in me getting this job because when people see the name, they recognize that this is a good school to pick your fresh graduates from. Right now I’m handling the production of five programmes, Meja Bulat, Perspektif Kita, Temujanji, Sudat Pidato, and Analisis Awani. This makes me really busy because our news shows we do live on air. The busiest time I’ve ever had at work was during the Malaysian Elections. Every day we had to do talk shows, in order to do proper coverage. It’s crazy because in one day we would have three live talk shows. But I was really happy when we got it done and we did a good job. ”

At the End of the Rainbow

To be a producer takes discipline, patience, and great coordination skills. Fizah has a few tips for you to be successful when it comes to running a big news station.

“Success is when our programme gives an impact to the lives of the people who view them.  We know this because our programme always comes out in the newspaper, and through this I know our programmes have really grabbed their attention.  You can only fail if you don’t grab an opportunity. Work hard at it even if it looks impossible. As for anyone looking to come into this field; you need to be mentally prepared, this line is really hectic. You’re always working more than 10 hours; it’s not about glamour, it’s about how you handle yourself. We need to coordinate with lots of people call, contacts and sometimes it’s overwhelming; but it’s really rewarding when you see it on air.”

Google+
View Mobile