Financial Assistance @ Limkokwing University of Creative Technology

Financial Assistance

Special assistance will be provided to students who face financial difficulties throughout the course of their studies at Limkokwing. Students can inform the registrar's and bursary's office through written statements with attached proof of thier financial difficulties.

  • Study Loans
  • Installment payment

Opening a bank account

International students new to the UK want to settle in as soon as possible. Opening a bank account will help you achieve this. All international students are advised to open a bank account in the UK as this if by far the safest and most effective way of managing your money. Bank accounts are also useful if you decide to seek part time employment as employers will want to pay your earnings directly into one.

What sort of account should I open?

Students often have difficulty opening accounts in foreign countries mainly because banks take a while to process new accounts and to perform credit checks of international applicants. However, most international students should be allowed to open what is called a "basic bank account". A basic bank account allows a student to pay money in and take money out, and you are normally provided with an ATM card to withdraw your money from cash-points. Basic bank accounts do not offer students any form of credit, so you will not be given any overdraft facility, chequebook or credit card.

Some international students might find that certain banks will be prepared to offer them a student account that offers more flexibility than a basic bank account. These accounts may offer some limited credit facilities such as a chequebook. The International services office will be provide you with all the necessary information during the orientation programme once you have reached campus, before the start of the academic year.

How to open a bank account?

In order to open a bank account in the UK, you will normally be required to provide documentary evidence of both your identity and your address here. Some banks will also require confirmation of your overseas address. If you are making an initial deposit of quite a large sum of money, there is an increased likelihood that the banks might offer you a more generous account.

The following is a list of documents that you are normally required to provide in order to open an account. Please note that these documents do vary from bank to bank and from branch to branch:

  • Proof of identity
  • Current signed Passport (some banks will accept a National Identity Card)
  • Evidence of your student status and address
  • Formal University offer letter sent to your overseas address
  • Formal letter from Limkokwing confirming that you are a fully enrolled student, the start and end dates of your course and confirming both your overseas and UK address
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Utility bills showing your name (You will not have these if you have only just arrived in the UK

Students should expect to wait for approximately ten days or more before their accounts are fully functional.

View Mobile