Prof. Dr. Khairuddin bin Ab. Hamid
Vice-Chancellor of University Malaysia Sarawak
Prof. Dr. Khairuddin bin Ab. Hamid, is the Vice-Chancellor of University Malaysia Sarawak.
Professor Dr Khairuddin’s talent and capability in information communication technology were recognized early in his life and he was given the opportunity to grow his skills and knowledge which he has put to excellent use in strengthening the competitiveness of the nation through ICT-related initiatives.
A pioneer in ICT since his 20s
While still in his 20s he accomplished a number of firsts from setting up Malaysia’s first Data Communications Laboratory at the University Technology Malaysia where he received appointment as the Founding Head of Telematics Research Group within the Faculty of Electrical Engineering. At that young age he also developed the new Master of Electrical Engineering degree programme and supervised the first Master and PhD research students within the faculty.
When he was just 29 years old he was appointed Head of Communication Engineering Department. A year later he left to expand his knowledge in computer networking and electronic systems engineering at the University of Essex in UK and returned with a Doctorate Degree in 1992.
A year later he joined the newly established Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) as Associate Professor and Founding Dean for the Faculty of Engineering. His knowledge, skills and leadership helped to grow the University’s Faculty of Engineering.
In the years to come his life became enmeshed with that of UNIMAS as he helped to build it into a formidable institution in the area of Information Communication Technology. He became the fourth Vice-Chancellor in April 2008.
National and International accolades
A highlight of his work was his contribution to the e-Bario initiative which was a national project to bridge digital divide. This landmark project was selected for the Prime Minister’s Information Technology Award (Socio-economic sector) in 2003. It has also won international acclaim that include:
- Industry Innovators Award for Systems Development and Applications by the Society of Satellite Professionals International of Washington, DC, USA in 2002.
- eASIA Award (Bridging the Digital Divide Category) from Taiwan in 2004.
- Mondialogo Engineering Award by UNESCO and Daimler-Chrysler in partnership with OSEAN, Cambridge University, UK, Engineers Without Borders, UK in 2005.
- Commonwealth Association for Public Administrators and Management (CAPAM) Gold Medal for International Innovation Award at Sydney, Australia in 2006.
Professor Khairuddin serves as a member of the National Steering Committee on Bridging the Digital Divide which is headquartered at the Prime Minister’s Department, Chairman of a Special Task on collaborations between the Malaysian Government and Infosys Technologies Ltd of India with the mission to enhance the quality and quantity of computer science and information technology graduates in Malaysia.
He leads an active life contributing his expertise in international collaborations. These include:
- Chairman for Working Group 3 (Policy, Regulations and Projects) of the Asian Info-communications Council (AIC) since it was established in 1998.
- Member of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) Steering Committee for the Establishment of Regional Knowledge Network of Telecentres for the Asia Pacific region.
- Adjunct and Honorary Professor by Cape Peninsula University of Technology, South Africa in order to facilitate research and academic collaborations with UNIMAS in the area of community informatics.
Author of technical content
He has published a book entitled “Information Theory and Coding” and contributed chapters in “ISDN Based Technology Guidebook” and “Broadband ISDN Based Technology Guidebook” published in 1990, 1996 and 1997 respectively.
He has also contributed three chapters in the Encyclopedia of Developing Regional Communities with Information and Communication Technology, which was published in 2006.
Between 2005 and 2007, he worked with the Support Center for Advanced Telecommunications (SCAT) of Technology Research Foundation, Japan to develop and produce a number of Computer Aided Instruction (CAI) courseware such as Mobile Internet Protocol (IP) and Next Generation Network.
He has also published a significant number of technical and research papers in Journals and Proceedings and more than 50 papers in national and international seminars and conferences.
He is also an editor for the Malaysian Journal of Computer Science and Malaysian Journal of Electrical Engineering.
On many occasions he has been invited to deliver papers as keynote and invited as speaker at many national and international conferences.
Currently, he is also Member of the Board of Directors for Centre of Modern Management of Sarawak (CMM) and Vice-President, International College of Advanced Technology Sarawak (ICATS).
For his highly distinctive work in building Malaysia’s strength in skilled human capital, the Limkokwing University of Creative Technology takes great pleasure in awarding Professor Dr Khairuddin Bin Ab. Hamid the Honorary Doctorate for Leadership in Talent Development.