Kindly note that these policies are by the Malaysian Immigration Department and students are to strictly abide to them. Please read the website regularly to keep up to date with changes to the immigration law.
Please read through all the information carefully to minimize delay and other problems that may arise regarding your student pass. Alternatively, you may consult our marketing counsellors or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Requirements for New International Students:
- You must have a minimum validity of 18 months (1 ½ year) in your passport in order to enter the country.
Procedure for New International Students:
- To apply for your student pass, please coordinate and send all the necessary documents to the University’s marketing counsellors. They will submit this to the Immigration Department of Malaysia for processing. Please note that the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) processing will take 6 to 8 weeks after you submit your complete set of documents.
- Once approved by Immigration, you may download your eVAL in EMGS website
- All new students MUST go to the nearest Malaysian Embassy in origin country to obtain a Single Entry Visa (SEV) before entering to Malaysia. Please refer to this link to check either your country requires the SEV.
- The VAL is valid for only six (6) months. You should get your Single Entry Visa and come to Malaysia at least one (1) month before your VAL expires.
- Once you get your Single Entry Visa and have made your travel arrangements, inform the University at least seven (7) working days before leaving your country. Please bring a copy of your VAL.
- Post medical screening (medical checkup requirement after obtain eVAL) should be done within 7 days with EMGS panel clinic upon arrival in Malaysia and you are require to submit the medical slip and your passport to Visa Unit at least 14 working days before your Social Visa (Entry stamp to Malaysia) expires. Late submission of your passport will require you to pay a penalty of RM 1200 (new students) and RM 1700 (alumni).
- You are require to re-apply as new student if your eVAL has expired. Please note there is no extension for eVAL renewal.
- As required by the Malaysian government, international students MUST undergo two sets of health examination/medical check-up:
- First health examination (pre medical screening) which should be done before apply your eVAL for student pass in origin country. Please refer to this link to check EMGS panel clinic in your origin country.
- Please note that it is compulsory for students from India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to attend medical screening at an EMGS Registered Clinic in their home country.
- You are required to perform the post arrival medical health check within three (3) days upon arrival with the appointed panel clinics by EMGS. You may obtain the form and the list of appointed panel clinics from the Visa Department.
- You must submit your passport to the department once your medical check-up is approved (please make sure the EMGS status has reached 80%).
- The Visa Department will submit your passport to EMGS for student pass endorsement. The endorsement process may take approximately two (2) - three (3) weeks. This duration is just an estimation and is subjected to EMGS and Immigration.
- Appealing of medical health check report is subjected to the approval from the EMGS.
- You are responsible to perform the medical check-up and submit your passport to the Visa Department within the stipulated time or it will cause insufficient time for EMGS to process your student pass endorsement. If you submit your passport after the expiry date, it is considered an overstay.
- The eVAL is your letter from the Immigration allowing you to study in Malaysia.
- Single Entry Visa is a stamp or sticker in your passport issued by the Malaysian Embassy
You must abide by Malaysian law at all times
- You have committed a case of misconduct when:
- You are found guilty of criminal charges by court.
- You are involved in any jobs, trades or the like, on part-time basis, which are deemed illegal in the Immigration Ordinance 1959 and the Immigration Rules and Regulations 1963 or other laws or that which could affect his studies.
- It is considered a serious offence if a student:
- is found to be in possession of any kind of drugs and poisons. The term ‘drug’ is as defined in the Dangerous Drug Act 1952.
- is found to provide, to supply, to distribute, to offer or to prepare any of the above drugs or poisons to any other parties.
- is involved in drug abuse of any kind.
- It is considered a serious offence if you are found to be in possession or in supervision of any dangerous weapons or explosive materials. ‘Weapon’ is as defined in the Weapons Act 1971.
- You are to abide by all the rules and regulations that are enforced by the institution.
The government has decided that effective 1st January 2014, all foreign students who have their student pass approved MUST obtain a visa to enter the country for the purpose of studying. This decision involves international students from all countries whether or not requiring a visa to enter Malaysia.
Variation and Progression
Please take note that the approval for changing of programme is upon discretion from the Malaysia Immigration Department (MID). Normally the MID will request additional documents such as current examination result, record of attendance and other required documents.
The MID have the right to NOT APPROVE the new Visa and Pass (for change of programme) if they find that the current result is not satisfactory or any other reason that does not comply with the Immigration’s regulation.
To avoid any difficulty to the students, Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) has recommended that the application for a change of programme (variation or progression) for international students must get an approval VAL from EMGS /Malaysia Immigration Department before permission to register under the new programme is allowed by Limkokwing University.
Students must cancel their current pass to apply for a variation or progression in order to apply for a new programme.
There is a possibility that the Immigration Department will request the student to exit Malaysia while waiting for the new VAL to be approved.
- Variation – Change course or Institution at same level of study (i.e Programme A to programme B at same level of study)
- Progression – Applications for a higher level of studies upon completion of the current studies (i.e Master to PhD)
If your application for variation is rejected by EMGS/ Immigration Department of Malaysia, you are required to defer your studies and return to your home country. You will be required to apply for a new student pass and only allowed to come to Malaysia once the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been approved by EMGS/ Immigration.
You cannot register with the new programme until you get your VAL approval from Immigration. You may be advised to return to home country and defer your study if the visa approval from Immigration is delayed.
Guidelines for Transfer Students from Other Colleges:
- If you are a student who wishes to transfer to our University after receiving your student visa for another college, you will need to get the Immigration’s approval to cancel that visa. Students holding a valid pass under one college are not allowed to study in another.
- Students who have less than three (3) days visa validity (shortened/special pass) need to leave the country upon submitting all relevant documents to our visa department. You must be outside Malaysia while waiting for your VAL to be approved.
- Once approved by the Immigration, the University will send your VAL. You are required to go to the nearest Malaysian Embassy (preferably in your home country) to obtain a Single Entry Visa.
- Except for Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) students below 18 years old, students are not allowed to study under any kind of visa except student visa.
Cancellation of Student Pass
Graduate/ Completion of Studies from LIMKOKWING UNIVERSITY
Students who have completed their studies must cancel their student pass.
Deferment of Studies
A student who defers from studies must get approval from University and must cancel a student pass. Student who have defer from study cannot apply for renewal and must return to your home country.
You will be required to apply for a new student pass and only allowed to come to Malaysia once the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been approved by EMGS/ Immigration.
Withdrawal or Termination from studies
A student who withdraws from his/her study must inform Limkokwing University before leaving Malaysia. The student pass will be cancelled, upon submission of passport, withdrawal letter from faculty, and confirmed flight ticket.
Change Programme or Change University
- A Student who have accepted admission offer letter from other institution must cancel Limkokwing University’s student pass.
- A student who had change a programme within Limkokwing University also required to cancel current student pass and apply variation/progression to the new programme.
- Applicant who wants to change the pass from dependent / employment pass to student pass required to apply for cancellation of the current pass.
- Leaving Malaysia without cancelling your student pass can cause consequences if student decides to apply to another University within Malaysia/ to apply another visa in Malaysia.
- It is requirement by Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) for the University to report to the MOHE, Royal Police Malaysia and Malaysia Immigration Department if a student did not return / not registered / missing in action without valid reason or prior permission from the University. The student will be blacklisted to enter Malaysia by Malaysia Immigration Department.
Special Pass (SP) & Transfer Endorsement
A special pass is a temporary pass issued by the Malaysia Immigration Department. The application for a special pass is subject to approval by the Malaysia Immigration Department. It is valid for 30 days (1st Special Pass) & 14 days (2nd Special Pass) under the following conditions:
- Current student pass had expired WITHIN 7 days.
- Late submission for renewal/ new student pass is less than 6 weeks before expiry.
- When converting from current pass to other of passes with insufficient time less on current pass.
- When current pass has expired while waiting for Student pass/extension/renewal application approval.
- Applying variation or progression while waiting for VAL to be approved in country (refer to Visa Department)
Immigration will charge RM100 for each Special pass issued.
Special Pass Issue Upon Discretion of Immigration Department
Malaysia Immigration Department has tightened the implementation of issuance the Special Pass. A student can only apply for special pass twice.
For the first Special Pass, Immigration Department will mark “Pending Decision for Student Pass” (duration is 30 days). The second Special Pass will be marked “Making Arrangement to Leave the Country” (duration is 14 days)
All applicants who were given the Special Pass labelled “Making Arrangement to Leave the Country” can no longer apply for another special pass. Students must leave Malaysia before expiry date once they have received this Special Pass.
When You Have a New Passport
Special Pass Duration
Please note that student may obtain FINAL Special Pass (The Immigration Department has notified that no further extension is allowed)
Special Pass 1 – 27 days > 30 days
Student MUST provide flight ticket in accordance to the application of Special Pass should the need arise
RM 100 Special Pass Payment (When Applicable)
If student has to leave Malaysia and re-enter with social stamp once supporting letter is approved, payment of RM 600 is applicable to issue visa sticker.
Check-out MEMO (C.O.M)
Check-out memo is issued by Malaysia Immigration Department for students who entered Malaysia using VAL, however, did not proceed with registration / failed medical check-up / personal reasons / cancellation of student pass.
Please proceed to Visa Department for check-out memo application. It will take 14 working days to complete.
Note: Immigration may deny students to exit Malaysia if they entered the country using VAL and will not complete student pass endorsement.
Overstaying is an offence in Malaysian Law. Malaysia Immigration Department (MID) will impose a penalty ranging from RM1,000 – RM10,000 depending on the duration of your overstay and/or a jail term up to 5 years. You may be blacklisted and deported back to your home country. You can be prohibited to enter Malaysia for a period of time. The process of overstayed clearance will take minimum 3 months following on MID standard of procedure.
Overstaying for less than seven (7) days
- If you overstay for less than seven (7) days, you must write a letter to the Immigration Department of Malaysia explaining why you did not renew your student pass.
- You must be present at the Immigration with an ISSD representative to submit the application form.
- You will receive a warning letter from the Immigration and will be required to pay a penalty of RM 1,700.
Overstaying for more than seven (7) days
- If you overstay for more than seven (7) days, you must write a letter to the Immigration Department of Malaysia explaining why you did not renew your student pass.
- You must be present at the Immigration with an ISSD representative to submit the application form.
- Overstaying charges:
- 1st Overstay-RM 1,200 (New/Transfer), RM 1,700 (Current Student)
- Overstay period reaches 6 Months or more – RM 2,700
- Overstay 1 year and above – RM 3,700
- 2nd Overstay and MORE -RM 3,700
- All overstay students will face consequences of being BLACKLISTED by Malaysian Immigration if it’s not supported by the Immigration of Student Pass Unit.
- Please note that ALL overstay cases may OR may not result in compound of RM 5,000, please be prepared Note: You will also need to wait for new VAL.
Student Pass Renewal
Guidelines for Current International Students:
To renew your student pass, please bring your passport to the International Student Services Department (ISSD) at least 90 days before the expiry date of your visa. An administrative cost will be charged for students who do not renew within the allowed period. You will be issued with a student pass for a maximum duration of 12 months.
To avoid overstaying your student pass, the University recommends that the Student Pass Renewal application be submitted (together with all required documents) 3 months before the student pass expiry date as required by Malaysia Immigration Department.
You are responsible to monitor the expiry date of your pass (i.e. Student pass expiry on 15 February 2020, you can submit renewal by 15 November 2019 or Pass expiry on 20 September 2020, you can submit renewal by 20 June 2020)
Additional requirement by Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS):
- Must submitted overall attendance report (above 80%)
- CGPA must above 2.00
The renewal of a student pass will cost you between RM409-RM709 (as below) including health insurance, EMGS fee, Multiple Entry Visa fee (Immigration fee), i-card and Limkokwing University admin fee.
Limkokwing Univeristy will impose a fine for late submission of renewal of student pass. Student must submit application 3 months before visa expiry date – failure to do so will result in penalty of RM 1700
It should take around 5-7 weeks upon receipt of a complete document and payment. You have to submit the document at Visa Department counter. The application for renewal must be send through EMGS by the University to obtain the Supporting Letter prior to submission for sticker endorsement at Immigration Department.
If your application for renewal of student pass is rejected by EMGS/ Immigration Department of Malaysia, you are required to defer your studies and return to your home country. You will be required to apply for a new student pass and are only allowed to come to Malaysia once the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) has been approved by EMGS/ Immigration.
You are required to submit your original passport only when the EMGS tracker shows progress of 90% (minimum 4 weeks after submission of document to Visa Department).
You are not allowed to purchase any flight ticket before obtaining your student pass/passport from the University to avoid any problem from arising afterwards. Please note that it will take 4-6 weeks for the renewal process. Limkokwing University will not be liable for any late approval by Immigration.
Fill out the student pass and immigration forms provided by ISSD. The supporting documents you need to provide are as follows:
- One (1) passport-sized photograph
- MUST NOT wear glasses, Mouth MUST BE closed, Hair MUST NOT cover the face
- Attire MUST BE formal (DO NOT wear open shoulders clothes), and NO WHITE/LIGHT colored clothes/hijab
- One (1) Clear copy of Every Single Page of passport INCLUDING Empty Pages
- OLD AND NEW - If student has 2 passports
- One (1) Set Copy of Front Page, Visa Page and Latest Entry Stamp in color
- Original Bursary Statement from Bursary Department
- Ensure there is NO OUTSTANDING
- Sponsored students need to provide Latest Scholarship Letter
- Student with Conditional Offer Letter MUST provide: IELTS / MUET / TOEFL / PTE certificate
- Original Supporting Letter from the Faculty / LEC (Addressed to EMGS) for below situations:
- Student Deferred Semester or Subject / Failed any subject / GNS/ DNC/ Academic progress report
- Expected graduation date for Post Graduate Student
- Visa extension (studies more than course of duration)
- Receipt of tuition fee payment (one year’s fees for a one-year student pass)
- Immigration fee for student pass renewal (the fee varies from country to country)
- Three (3) full sets of passport copy: the main page and visa page in colour
Not Allowed to Work with a Student Pass
International students are NOT ALLOWED to work in Malaysia. You are also NOT ALLOWED to engage in any business activities, directly or indirectly. You can be deported immediately for doing this.
Submit Your Passport to Visa Department
Fourteen (14) days before current visa expires with RM 100 Special Pass payment AND / OR when application reached 90% in EMGS online tracker
To Follow-Up on Your Application
Please email below contacts according to your needs
Important Note: It takes 6-8 weeks to obtain Supporting Letter (SLC). Do note that you are NOT ALLOWED to leave Malaysia during your application period. Please refer to Visa Department for assistance/ clarification.
INCOMPLETE DOCUMENTS WILL BE REJECTED
Please click here to download the visa renewal form
Frequently Asked Questions
View our Frequently Asked Questions regarding Immigration Rules, Visa, Student Pass and more.Click here
International Student Services Department (ISSD) Business Hours:
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm
Saturday 8.30am to 12.00pm